Vasacor has been scientifically developed using ingredients that have been independently researched by third parties to reduce cholesterol levels. For your convenience, we have provided independent research describing the benefits of several of the ingredients found in Vasacor. This is a partial list, it does not include numerous studies done on the effectiveness of these ingredients when combined with additional cholesterol-reducing agents.
Vasacor Supplement Facts
Each Serving (3 capsules) contains:
Omega 3: EPA
Omega 3: DHA
Other Ingredients: Gelatin, Rice Powder, Magnesium Stearate
* Daily Value Not Established
Policosanol is a mixture of higher aliphatic primary alcohols purified from sugar-cane wax. The mixture has cholesterol-lowering efficacy, its specific effects being to reduce serum total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL), and to increase high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL). The effects of policosanol on triglycerides are modest and inconsistent. 
Policosanol administered along with omega-3 fish oils can improve LDL, TC and HDL. Treatment with omega-3 FA & policosanol can also be useful for regulating lipid profile in patients with type II hypercholesterolaemia. 
Niacin (in the flush-free form Inositol Hexaniacinate) is a water-soluble B vitamin that improves all lipoprotein levels when given in doses well above the vitamin requirement . Nicotinic acid lowers total cholesterol, LDL-cholesterol, and triglyceride levels, while raising HDL-cholesterol levels. Most experts recommend starting with the immediate-release form. Nicotinic acid reduces LDL-cholesterol levels by 10 to 20 percent, reduces triglycerides by 20 to 50 percent, and raises HDL-cholesterol by 15 to 35 percent. 
Omega-3 Fatty Acids:
Cholesterol-lowering drugs, combined with a fatty acid found in fish, packs a one-two punch against heart attack, angina and other coronary events, according to a study presented at a late-breaking clinical trials session at the American Heart Association's Scientific Sessions 2005. 
Epidemiological studies have demonstrated that a diet rich in long-chain polyunsaturated omega-3 fatty acids, which are abundant in fish, is protective against death and disability from coronary heart disease.
Evidence from prospective secondary prevention studies suggests that taking omega-3 fish oils ranging from 0.5 to 1.8 grams per day (either as fatty fish or supplements) significantly reduces deaths from heart disease and all causes. 
Guggulsterones (Commiphora mukul):
Studies have indicated that patients that consume guggulsterones have a significant reduction in cholesterol levels. Patients have observed a significant reduction in the values of total serum lipid and total serum cholesterol. Other parameters of lipid profile also showed downward trend except rise of HDL with insignificant difference.  In addition to its ability to lower lipid levels, guggulsterones are also have demonstrated the ability to inhibit LDL oxidation. 
Beta-sitosterol and other plant sterols appear to reduce cholesterol levels by blocking absorption of cholesterol.  Studies indicate diets that include beta-sitosterol could reduce total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol levels by up to 10 percent. 
1) Castano G, Mas R, Fernandez L, Illnait J, Mendoza S, Gamez R, Fernandez J, Mesa M.A comparison of the effects of D-003 and policosanol (5 and 10 mg/day) in patients with type II hypercholesterolemia: a randomized, double-blinded study. Drugs Exp Clin Res. 2005;31 Suppl:31-44.
2) Castano G, Fernandez L, Mas R, Illnait J, Gamez R, Mendoza S, Mesa M, Fernandez J. Effects of addition of policosanol to omega-3 fatty acid therapy on the lipid profile of patients with type II hypercholesterolaemia. Drugs R D. 2005;6(4):207-19.
3) Norris RB. "Flush-free niacin": dietary supplement may be "benefit-free". Prev Cardiol. 2006 Winter;9(1):64-5.
4) National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute. Nicotinic Acid.
5) American Heart Association Scientific Sessions Meeting Report. Fish oil supplements plus statins protect against heart disease.
6) American Heart Association. Fish and Omega-3 Fatty Acids.
7) Beg M, Singhal KC, Afzaal S. A study of effect of guggulsterone on hyperlipidemia of secondary glomerulopathy. Indian J Physiol Pharmacol. 1996 Jul;40(3):237-40.
8) Wang X, Greilberger J, Ledinski G, Kager G, Paigen B, Jurgens G. The hypolipidemic natural product Commiphora mukul and its component guggulsterone inhibit oxidative modification of LDL. Atherosclerosis. 2004 Feb;172(2):239-46.
9) Grundy SM, Ahrens EH Jr, Davignon J. The interaction of cholesterol absorption and cholesterol synthesis in man. J Lipid Res 1969;10:304-15
10) Matvienko OA, Lewis DS, Swanson M, Arndt B, Rainwater DL, Stewart J, Alekel DL. A single daily dose of soybean phytosterols in ground beef decreases serum total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol in young, mildly hypercholesterolemic men. Am J Clin Nutr. 2002 Jul;76(1):57-64
Vasacor Cholesterol Treatment Content Copyright © 2006-2017 Vasacor - Speedwinds Nutrition Inc.